List of Topics and Articles


ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS will launch his Chelsea revolution by making a move for Inter Milan’s Samuel Eto’o.

The 33-year-old Andre Villas-Boas quit Porto yesterday and cleared the way for his move to London. And he is already plotting his fi rst transfer moves, funded by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

Starsport revealed yesterday that Villas-Boas wants to bring £26m-rated Porto striker Falcao to Stamford Bridge. And he will also move for Samuel Eto’o, who has indicated he wants to quit Inter Milan, for around £12m.

                                                                                                         The arrivals will signal the end of the road for Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka, with Ivorian Drogba a possible target for AC Milan. Villas-Boas was in London for talks last night after resigning from the Portuguese champions.

                                                                                                         Porto confirmed last night Chelsea had paid the £13.3m  release clause in his contract, clearing the way for the club’s former scout to return. And Chelsea hope to confirm him in the job within the next 24 hours.

                                                                                                        A club statement said: “We note that the release clause of Andre Villas-Boas has been activated.

“We can at this time confirm our interest in him and hope to reach agreement with him on personal terms and make a further announcement in the near future.”

Porto told the Portuguese Stock Exchange of the moves before confirming Vitor Pereira as their new coach on a two-year contract. But it is understood Villas-Boas upset the club by resigning by fax rather than in person.

                                                                                                         Porto president Jorge Pinto da Costa said: “Am I angry? No. What has happened is part of life and football.

“I started to look for a new manager a month ago after Andre took a trip to London.

“I wish him the best of luck. He has the ability to triumph at any club, especially somewhere like Chelsea, where there are no fi nancial limitations.”

It is understood there are no plans to bring in Guus Hiddink as sporting director, with the Dutchman now linked with the vacant Inter Milan job.

                                                                                                         England boss Fabio Capello had been linked with that job, but both the FA and the club have denied claims that talks have taken place.

                                                                                                         An FA spokesman said: “We’ve had no approach from Inter Milan. Fabio has said he will remain in charge until Euro 2012 and we’re confident that is what will happen.”

Villas-Boas will start work immediately, with the players due in for training on July 4 and the fi rst friendly pencilled in for July 9 against Vitesse Arnhem in Holland, followed by a game at Portsmouth a week later.

                                                                                                         But he could have his work cut out keeping star defender David Luiz, with Barcelona reportedly preparing a £30m bid.

                                                                                                         The Brazil international centre-back has proved a major success at Stamford Bridge following his £22m capture from Benfi ca fi ve months ago.

                                                                                                         Belgium under-21 keeper Thibaut Courtois, 19, is also on the way to Stamford Bridge, with the club planning to loan him back to Genk to gain experience.

Liverpool in £10m Charlie Adam talks

Published 10:45 24/06/11 By MirrorFootball

Read more:
Sign up for MirrorFootball's Morning Spy newsletter Register here

Diego Forlan 'destined for Tottenham' after Atletico reveal striker's wish

Tottenham have been put on alert after Atletico Madrid hinted  former Manchester United striker Diego  Forlan could be headed back to the Premier League.

Diego Forlan, Atletico MadridPrem return: Forlan wants  to comeback to England, and Spurs lie in wait (AP)

Harry Redknapp  has been a long term admirer of the 32-year-old hitman, and tried to snap him up  in the January window, as well as immediately after the 2010 World Cup where the  forward starred for Uruguay.

But Atletico refused to play ball for the man who had previously netted 66  goals in 102 La Liga appearances, and rejected all advances.

Now though, Forlan has fallen out of favour with supporters and the  management at the Spanish club, and could finally be flogged to Spurs at a  knockdown rate.

Forlan has already rejected the chance to go to Turkey with Galatasaray and  president Enrique Cerezo says the striker's first choice is the Premier League.

‘Diego will decide what happens, but it looks like his first choice will be  England,’ said Cerezo.

The ex-United man only managed eight goals in 32 league games last season.

Read more: United are confident of being able to sign Arsenal midfielder
Samir Nasri, 23, for £20m.

story: Caught Offside






Back to A Spanish Life